Kelly Overseas

Sunday, April 22, 2007

ITALY Easter 2007


























Part 1.
Highlights of my trip so farApril started off with a blast as we hit Pisa late due to a delayed flight but found ourselves in a hotel literally around the corner from the Leaning Tower itself. So we took a stroll only to be rewarded with a breath taking sight... the tower ...lit by lights yes, but framed by a full moon and dappled clouds. As it struck midnight and we realised it was the eve of my birthday, we danced around and felt like we were in a dream!!! The photos we took certainly don't look real - it was as though we're photoshopped ourselves into this wonderland (don't you think?!).

When we awoke on my birthday, I received so many phonecalls from home and felt so loved... happy... full... .....You complete me! Lol. Sounds cheesey but seriously... I was floating along! We visited the Leaning Tower of Pisa by daylight - just to check it really was there and we really were awake and then sat in the sun sipping a free glass of vino in the sun - This came about after a rather forward Italian asked me 'Real or Fake?'! I did consider slapping him but as I was in Italy thought I'd probably better get use to it and so instead was cheeky back - He owned the little restaurant with cute outdoor tables so I decided that he could pay for his insult! And of course he did. The wine was malto bene!

That afternoon we caught the train to Firenze / Florence and after checking in, strolled around the city, taking in all the buzz. A birthday celebration was called for and we indulged in divine pasta, gelato and some real Italian champs!

We did escape the city for a day and took a Tuscan bicycle ride... lead by an Irish and Scotsman!!! A little bizarre, but they knew thier stuff. Rolling Tuscan hills, Olive groves, vineyards, Cyprus trees galore... we began at a castle and were given a short wine tour, rode til luch time where we stopped in a small restuarant then continued along the gentle plains... until we came to the killer hill!!! I did make it half way up but too much pasta (not vino!!!) made the climb impossible! I did make it further than most of the girls though, so I was pleased.

I loved Florence - Michelangelo's statue of David was incredible! So huge and beautiful!!! The determination on his face as he looked towards Goliath was intense! I overheard a guide which gave me so much more to think about... The perfectly sculpted muscles, tense for battle, the idea that he was naked before Goliath -without armour and naked before God.... I could have stood there for hours!

The bridge with all the shops also made for great photos, although not so good for shopping (unless you own a bank!) and the duamo provided a great look out over the city. A brilliant start to an amazing trip ... And there was more to come!




Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger il siciliano di francia said...

ciao vedo che ho trovato una gemella abbiamo molte cose in comune il blog e una versione di me io sono andato alla spezzia e poi ho preso la nave per andarea portovenerema pure firenze pisa siena roma orvieto napoli pompei vesuvio pasteum e poi la sicilia tutto il giro che bello ricordo ciao coluccio

 

Post a Comment

<< Home