Kelly Overseas

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Mid-term Break - My First European Holiday

PART II of my Mid-term Break and first European Holiday - Roma, Italy

Today we went to see the Vatican City... the line to get inside stretched around St Peter's Square, but it must be a lot worse in the summer... The inside is huge and so beautiful. Incredible mosaics, ornate ceilings, statues galore! The pros of standing next to a tour guide means that although you didn't pay as such, you get to know which Pope's body is replicated (I hope it wasn't the real thing), which famous artist designed or made which piece of work and that the candles in the centre are over what is known to be St Peter's tomb!

The climb up to the dome is over 360 steps, alongside of the lift and in tunnels which are so lopsided and narrow that I would not recommend for claustrophobics! But the view... it is beautiful... the whole of St Peter's square and the rest of Rome lies before you! We missed the Sistine >Chapel as it shuts at 12.25 but I will be back on Monday.

Dodgy, Letisha and I indulged in pizza, Italiano style and more gelato! The hot chocolate is so thick and looks like hot fudge... I'll be getting myself another one of those!

After saying goodbye to the girls, I am now on my own. Whilst wondering around, in the general direction of the colosium I was asked for the time, then proceeded to be befriended by an art tutor. He suggest visiting San Clemente, one of the oldest churches around, part of it, the lowest level (20 m down), is probably 2nd century BC!

Afterwards, I visited the colossium , with the late afternoon sun painting it in such warmth that you could forget it was winter. Futher on, there was a huge protest with police officers galore. The site of shields and batons took my interest, but being the smart girl that I am, I stayed way back. Still have no idea what it was about but I’m sure that one said something about Iraq?

Later in the week…
I am sure I have walked 5,000 miles today! (I can feel a song coming on... hehehe) Anyway... I walked from one side of Rome to the other and back again and half way there and back again!! But it was worth it! I went to see the Sistine Chapel - words can't do it justice! Michelangelo's ceiling has incredible stories - the Creation, Adam and Eve, and so much more... the end wall is covered with The Last Judgement - it was huge and so detailed. Raphael's rooms were so beautiful too! His 'School of Athens' was cool, esp since it includes Michelangelo sulking on the steps = ) However, with all this history and so much art - I'm coming to realise just how much history we lack in NZ and just how much I don't know!!!!!

Oh, yesterday I got to Palatine Hill- the idea that the actual Julius Caesar was there, lived, ruled and was murdered there was incredible - I thought of my kids that inacted that for Shakespeare last year!!! It was just a story then.... but it's real... the HISTORY ...aaaaggghhh! It is so amazing!!!!!!

However, enough history .... tomorrow - I think it's time for a bit of shopping (maybe some Italian shoes.... boots - aye yes!!!!! ... and more gelato! (Im walking enough so it's ok! Hehehehe.) – And I did! I bought some beautiful Italian leather boots! These boots are made for walking… and that’s exactly what I’m gonna do!

My final day in Rome… Time to head home…
I have loved Rome! Whether it was sitting at Fontana Trevi with the brilliant sunshine dancing on the spurting water, or sitting in a cafe drinking a rich caramel cappichino drizzled in ciocolato with the rain streaming down outside - it's all the same - a dream come true... picturesque and so rich is culture. I threw the coin over my shoulder into Trevi Fountain and so one day (hopefully not in the too distant future) I will be back... because as everyone knows, all roads lead to Rome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home